The “knotty people” in this activity sheet can be used to make swaps as well as teach girls about knot tying in a fun way!
All knotty people are made with white rope, neon coloured string, brightly coloured pompoms (heads) and googly eyes. A glue gun was used to attach materials together. They can all be attached to a camp hat with safety pins.
10-12 cm rope
Yarn for hair
1. Whip each end of the rope to look like Betty’s socks.
2. Fold the rope in half and tie a bowline knot.
3. Place the pompom on the rope (bent area).
4. Add the googly eyes and felt for mouth and acorn for hat.
Knotting and macramé cord, 9″
Small macramé bead
Fine tip marker
1. Feed one end of cord through the bead. Make a simple knot on the short end and fluff the end of the cord to make hair.
2. With the remaining cord under the bead, tie one of the guide knots e.g.. bowline.
3. Apply a face on the bead with a fine tip marker.
Stick, 6cm long (popsicle stick, dowel, stick)
Cotton batting or grey hair
Flower stamen or sparkles for jewels
1. Tie two hitches around the stick. These represent arms.
2. Glue pompom to one end of stick.
3. Add googly eyes.
4. Add flower stamens for earrings.
5. Glue on cotton for hair.
1. Larry is constructed from sticks which are square lashed together.
2. Place the pompom between the sticks for head (v-shaped area).
3. Add the googly eyes and felt for mouth.
4. Place acorn cup on top of pompom for hat.
Rope – 10cm
Felt for mouth
1. Fold the rope in half.
2. Whip the two ends together.
3. Add the pompom for head (on top of whipping).
4. Add the googly eyes and felt for mouth.
5. Add the acorn cup for hat.
6. Bend a pipe cleaner to form arms.
Dog bone biscuit
2 medium pompoms
1. Make a packer’s knot on the dog biscuit.
2. Place 1 pompom for head and other for tail.
3. Add googly eyes and felt for mouth.
4. Create ears from felt.
Yarn for hair and ribbons
3 sticks (sticks, popsicle or dowels)
1. Trudy is made from 3 sticks tied together using the tripod lashing.
2. Place pompom on top of tripod for head.
3. Braid some wool for hair, place on top of pompom.
4. Attach acorn for hat.
5. Glue on googly eyes and felt for mouth.